high-tech running fabrics make it easy to enjoy winter trail running. Here are tips
that will make winter trail running easier and more enjoyable.
Dress in layers.
This will allow you to peel off or add layers as the
temperature, wind, and other conditions change.
a highly-breathable base layer.
a looser, second layer of breathable material.
- This is the layer of material that you
wear closest to your skin. It should be made of a high-tech polyester that "wicks"
sweat away from your body.
- Wicking material will wick sweat away and decrease
the chances of a severe chilling effect if the temperature turns cooler and windier,
or if you slow down or have to walk.
an outer layer of breathable, wind-resistant, water-resistant material.
- The second layer should
be made out of fleece.The second layer adds extra insulation between
your base layer and your outer layer.
- Vents and zippers gives you maximum
comfort in a wide range of temperatures.
a breathable hat that can be pulled over your ears.
and zippers gives you maximum comfort in a wide range of temperatures.
your ears and hands.
- During cold weather,
you lose up to 50 percent of your body heat through your head.
- A breathable
hat will decrease the amount of body heat lost.
- Mittens keep hands warmer than gloves.
and a hat that can be pulled over your ears are great tools to keep your ears
- It is important to wear
sunscreen if it is snowing or there is snow on the ground.
- Sunglasses will provide protection against snow glare and wind.
running shoes with good outsoles/treads.
- Reflective gear will help you be seen by other pedestrians
and motorists. This is extremely important if you run at dawn or dusk.
gear can be worn on your torso, arms, your legs, head and shoes.
- Winter roads are often slippery.
Good outsoles will help you avoid slips and falls.
socks made of synthetic fibers.
- If you fall or have an accident, you can call for help on
your cell phone.
not run on ice.
- Socks made of synthetic fibers will will
moisture away from your skin and help prevent blisters and athlete's foot.