A swimming pool in the yard can be very dangerous for children. Use the tips below to keep your water activities safe.
Water Safety Tips
- Learn CPR.
- Make sure your baby-sitter knows CPR.
- Teach your children to swim.
- Never leave young children unattended, even for a minute, in a bathtub, swimming pool, lake, ocean, or stream.
- If you must leave the pool area because of doorbells, phone calls, chores or conversations, take the child with you, and make sure the pool gate latches securely when it closes.
- Fence all home pools and keep the gate closed and locked.
- Remove all toys, tricycles from the vicinity of the pool.
- Always wear life preservers when boating.
- Avoid drinking alcohol when swimming or boating.
- Never swim alone.
- Teach your children good pool or spa safety habits.
- Never dive into water unless you know beforehand how deep it is.
- Know your limits. Do not over-exert yourself.
- Avoid standing on wet surfaces or being in water during a lightening storm.
- Keep lifesaving equipment, such as a pole, life preserver and rope - in the pool area.
- Stay out of strong currents.
- Do not overload your boat. If your boat turns over, stay with the boat until help arrives.
- Encourage your neighbors to follow pool safety guidelines.
- Teach your children the most effective way to get out of the pool or spa quickly.
- Do not allow glass in the pool or spa area.