Skin Care for Different Skin Types
One of the first steps of skin care is knowing your skin type. Knowing your skin type is one of the first step toward choosing proper skin care.
Skin type is influenced by many factors:
- Climate/weather (cold, warm, moist, dry)
- Your skin-care routine (over-moisturizing or exfoliating, using irritating or drying products)
- Sun exposure
There are 5 main types of skin
- Normal skin is soft, supple and smooth. It is fine-textured and free of blemishes
- Normal skin has a nice glow and never feels oily or dry.
- Dry skin has a fine texture and is transparent looking. It feels tight and drawn without moisturizer and tends to have fine lines around the eyes and mouth.
- Dry skin feels especially dry after washing and may have whiteheads around the eyes and dry patches.
- This type of skin needs proper care because it shows signs of aging early.
- Oily skin has a greasy, sallow and course complexion.
- Oily skin has large pores and tends to have pimples, blackheads and whiteheads.
- Within hours of washing the oiliness will reappear and makeup is usually absorbed quickly.
- Combination skin is oily in the T zone and the rest of the face is dry.
- The T zone is the forehead, nose and chin.
- The T zone requires a separate cleaning routine from the rest of the face.
- Problem Skin
- Problem skin is usually oily, has a course texture and is subject to acne.
- Problem skin has large pores, blackheads, red blotches and may become more irritated under stress.
- People with problem skin should consult a dermatologist.