My Stepparent is my age
It can be very difficult for a child when their parents get a divorce. But what's even more challenging, is when your parent marries someone who's the same age as you. It may be hard at first, but give it time and you'll get use to it. Try to keep in mind how happy your parent is with this person. If you can't get over it, here's a few tips that can help you out.
- Your stepparent can never replace your parent. They are not your new mom or dad. Understand that your father or mother's choice of spouse has nothing to do with you.
- Don't blame your stepparent. It's not their fault that your parent chose them. They're looking for love also.
- Set boundaries. You can set boundaries and limitations without being mean or upsetting your stepparent.
- Ask your parent and stepparent not to say mean things in front of you about your biological parent. Tell them how you all can get along peacefully by respecting each others boundaries.
- Don't judge your parent's new spouse. This may be one of the hardest things to do. Your stepparent may be inexperienced in the marriage department, so take it easy on them and let their marriage flow without your interruption.
- Support your parent's decision. You may not like your new stepparent, but at least be there for your family. You don't want to put excess strain on your relationship with your biological parent.
- Try to avoid being jealous. It may be very easy to get jealous of your stepparent. The fact that they are the same age as you can really upset you, but the relationship you have with your parents outweighs the love your parent have for their new spouse.
- Avoid conflict. It may be easy to say harmful things, especially,when your new stepparent is the same age as you are. However, it's not healthy to argue, and there will be less stress on all of you, if a conflict can be avoided.
Getting over the fact that your parent married someone the same age as you will definitely bring a smile to their face. Make your parent happy and try your hardest to get along with your new stepparent. Your new stepparent may have some of the same interests and life experiences as you. Take advantage and accept any new role you may play in the happiness of your parent and their new spouse.