Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life and Spirit by Andrew Weil, Rosie
cup purified water
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 pound asparagus (about
2 cups chopped) or broccoli florets
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic,
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, cut in small cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, or 1 teaspoon dried
tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon
freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black
- 3 small red potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated cheese,
Pepper Jack or Swiss
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 6 eggs
medium tomato, sliced (seeds squeezed out)
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
oven to 375° F.
the water, pour over the sun-dried tomatoes, and allow to soak for about 15 minutes
until they become soft and plump.
- Strain off any remaining liquid, and coarsely
off about 1 inch of the coarse ends of the asparagus stalks and discard or save
them for soup.
- Cut the remaining stalks into about 6 pieces or chop coarsely.
If you are using broccoli, cut into florets.
- Blanch the asparagus by boiling it
in a medium pot of water for 2 minutes or less.
- Asparagus should be bright green
and firm to the bite.
- Drain, rinse the asparagus in cold water, and drain again
in a colander.
the onions and the garlic in the olive oil over low heat until the onions are
transparent, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms, basil, parsley,
chili flakes, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and continue to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Line the bottom with the potato
slices, overlapping them slightly.
- Whisk together the cheese, milk, sun-dried
tomatoes, sour cream, and the eggs in a large bowl.
- Mix in the sautéed
vegetables and the blanched asparagus, coating everything with the cheese, milk,
and egg liquid, then pour into the potato-lined pie pan.
- Arrange the tomato slices
on top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour, covering after 45 minutes
if top browns.
- Completely baked quiche should be very firm.
- Let cool 15 minutes
before slicing and serving.
- Leftovers can be wrapped and kept in the refrigerator
for up to 3 days.
Fat 12.6 g
Saturated fat 4.9 g
of calories from fat)
Protein 10 g
Carbohydrate 14.3 g
Fiber 2.3 g
Copyright © 2002 by Andrew Weil, M.D. and Rosie Daley.