- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 small eggplant, cut into ¾ inch thick slices
- 1 c. dried bread crumbs
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 c. vegetarian spaghetti sauce
- 4 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- In small bowl, beat egg and water together.
- Place bread crumbs
- in a shallow dish.
- Dip eggplant slices into egg mixture and immediately into breadcrumbs (coat thoroughly).
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add eggplant slices.
- Cook 4-5 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over eggplant slices during last two minutes to melt.
- While eggplant is cooking, heat vegetarian spaghetti sauce in medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.
- Top eggplant with sauce and Parmesan cheese before serving.
Eggplant Hash Browns
- 3 cups of potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups of eggplants, peeled and cubed
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup of vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp of flour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp of fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp of chopped basil
- In a skillet, boil the vegetable stock and potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes in the stock until they become soft.
- Set potatoes aside.
- Sautee the onion in the butter for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and olive oil and cook until the eggplant becomes soft.
- Add the garlic and flour.
- Cook for another three minutes.
- Add the milk and potatoes.
- Cook for another 7-10 minutes.
- 6 large potatoes, sliced ¼-in. thick
- 1/3 c. fat-free grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 c. shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 c/ shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¼ c. margarine, cubed
- 2 tsp. seasoned salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Divide potatoes equally between two pieces of aluminum foil that have been coated with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine Parmesan cheese and ¾ c. each of the cheddar and mozzarella cheeses; sprinkle over the potatoes.
- Top potatoes with margarine, seasoned salt and pepper.
- Bring opposite ends of the foil together over the filling and fold down several times until tight.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from the grill, sprinkle with remaining cheeses and serve.
Serves 6-8 persons