Chayotes Stuffed With Cheese
- 6 small chayotes (christophine), cut in half, lengthwise
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- Wash chayotes and bring to a boil in water.
- Cover and boil at moderate heat for about 1 hour or until fork-tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Drain chayotes, remove cores and fibrous part under cores.
- Scoop out pulp, being careful not to break shells.
- Place shells on cookie sheet.
- Immediately mash pulp and mix with cheese, salt, and margarine.
- Stuff shells with the mixture.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings--Serving size: 2 chayote halves
Each serving provides:
Lemon and Tomato Cous Cous
- 1 cup of vegetable broth, boiling on the stove
- 1 cup of cous cous
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 4 tbsp of lemon
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Sautee the onion and tomatoes in the oil for 6 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Add the cous cous and the chicken broth.
- Stir the ingredients for 30 seconds and allow them to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Serves: 2-3 persons
- 6 eggs
- Salt and freshly milled white pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons chopped marjoram
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 2 Tablespoons of mixture of olive oil and melted butter
- Preheat broiler.
- Beat eggs with 3/4 teaspoon salt and white pepper to taste.
- Stir in cheeses, marjoram and garlic.
- Heat oil and butter in 8- or 10-inch skillet.
- Add egg mixture and lower heat.
- Cook until set, about 12 minutes, then brown 4-6 inches under broiler.
- When done, slide frittata onto a plate