Hearty Meatball Spinach Soup
- 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 tsp. dried oregano leaves, divided
- 20 Saltine Crackers, finely crushed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten or egg substitute
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained
- Combine meat, 1/4 cup of the onion, 1/3 of the garlic and 1/2 tsp. of the oregano in large bowl.
- Add cracker crumbs and egg; mix well.
- Shape into 1-inch balls; set aside.
- COOK and stir remaining 3/4 cup onion and remaining garlic in hot oil in
- Dutch oven or large saucepan on medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes. or until onion is tender.
- Add broth, tomatoes with their liquid, spinach and the remaining oregano; bring to boil.
- Add meatballs.
- Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 20 to 25 minutes. or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve with additional Saltine Crackers.
Spiced Apple Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 6 cups chopped peeled butternut squash
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Honey Nut Flavor Cream Cheese Spread
- Melt butter in large saucepan on medium heat.
- Add onions; cook 4 min. or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in nutmeg; cook 1 minute.
- Add squash, apples and broth; stir.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover.
- Simmer 50 minutes or until squash and apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Cool soup slightly.
- Add, in batches, to food processor or blender; cover. Process until smooth; return to saucepan.
- Cook on medium-low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle soup into eight serving bowls just before serving.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of the cream cheese spread to each bowl; stir gently to swirl.