- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 cans of peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup of pancetta
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 can of borlotti beans, strained and washed
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 cup of macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups of cabbage, shredded
- 3 cups of beef stock
- 1/4 cup of chopped basil leaves
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan, shaved
- Add the pancetta and oil in a pan a sauté them for 3 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the carrot, onion, celery, potato, garlic and simmer on a medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, the tomato pasta and the beef stock.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer the soup for 45-50 minutes.
- Add the macaroni and cabbage and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Garnish with olive oil, basil and Parmesan cheese.
Serves: 4 persons
Ham and Pea Soup
- 2 cups of green split peas, soaked for seven hours before cooking
- 1/4 cup of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large ham bone or several medium-size ham bones
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Simmer the carrots, onion and celery in the oil in a pan on a medium high heat for 6-10 minutes.
- Add the thyme, bay leaves split peas, ham bone(s), and 2 1/2 litters of water.
- Simmer and stir the ingredients on a medium low heat for 2 hours.
- Allow for the soup to cool.
- Remove the thyme and bay leaves.
- Remove the ham bone from the soup and tear the meat away from the bone, returning it to the soup.
- Throw away the bones.
- Reheat the soup and serve.
Serves: 6 persons