- 1 ½ c. tomato juice
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 medium chopped tomato
- ¼ c. chopped, unpeeled cucumber
- 2 tbsp. chopped green pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp. wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- Heat tomato juice to boiling.
- Add bouillon cube to the tomato juice and stir until dissolved.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and chill for several hours.
- Serve into small bowls and top with croutons and shredded Romano cheese.
Ham and Bean Soup
- 1 ¼ c. dried navy beans or lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 ½ c. water
- ¼ lb. chopped cooked ham
- ½ tsp. dried oregano leaves
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. dried sage
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 c. skim milk
- 2 tbsp. margarine
- Place beans in a large saucepan.
- Add enough water to cover beans.
- Bring beans to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove beans from heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans and return beans to saucepan.
- Stir in 2 ½ c. water, salt, ham, oregano, salt, ginger, sage and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Add milk and margarine, stirring until mixture is heated through and margarine is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.