Cuban Black Bean Soup
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. oil
- 3 cans (16 oz. each) black beans, undrained, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz.) chicken broth, divided
- 1 jar (16 oz.) Salsa
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- Cook and stir onion, garlic and cumin in oil over medium heat in large saucepan 3 min.
- Place 1 can of the undrained beans and half of the broth in blender or food processor container; cover.
- Blend until pureed.
- Add to ingredients in saucepan.
- Repeat with second can of undrained beans and remaining broth.
- Add remaining can of beans and salsa to saucepan mixture; mix well.
- Bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls.
- Drizzle each serving with 1 Tbsp. sour cream.
Cheesy White Bean Soup
- 2 cups dried cannellini beans, soaked 8 to 12 hours, drained
- 1 bulb garlic (about 3 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1/2 tsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 pkg. (8 oz) Shredded Cheddar & Monterey Jack Cheese
- Place beans in large saucepot.
- Add enough water to cover beans by a few inches.
- Bring to boil on medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 30 minutes or until beans until tender.
- Let beans cool in their cooking liquid; drain.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut off and discard top third of garlic bulb; drizzle with 1/2 tsp. of the oil.
- Wrap loosely in foil; place on baking sheet.
- Bake 40 minutes or until tender.
- Cool completely.
- Squeeze garlic pulp from bulb; set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in large stockpot on medium-high heat.
- Add onions; cook and stir 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add beans, garlic pulp and broth; stir until well blended.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 minutes.
- Add soup, in batches, to blender container; cover.
- Process until smooth.
- Return to pot.
- Add cheese; cook on medium heat until cheese is melted and soup is heated through, stirring constantly.