Rhubarb Custard Pie
- 2 1/2 cups diced rhubarb
- Custard: 4 eggs (US large)
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat eggs, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla in a large bowl
- Add rhubarb to pie shell.
- Pour custard over rhubarb.
- Bake pie shell (1/2 flaky crust recipe) in 450 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Pour rhubarb custard into pie shell.
- Bake in 350 degree oven 1 hour or until custard is set.
- Cool and refrigerate until serving.
Boston Cream Pie
Looks much more complicated than it is.
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup salad oil
- 1 cup milk (divided)
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until very stiff peaks form.
- Sift together remaining dry ingredients into another bowl.
- Add oil, 1/2 cup of milk, and vanilla.
- Beat 1 minute at medium.
- Add remaining milk and egg yolks.
- Beat 1 minute.
- Fold in egg white mixture.
- Bake in 2 greased and lightly floured 9-inch cake pans in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans.
- Cool completely.
- Fill with cream filling and frost with chocolate glaze.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- In saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt.
- Gradually add milk and mix well.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils, stirring constantly, then cook and stir 2 more minutes.
- Gradually add the hot mixture into the egg and then return to saucepan.
- Cook and stir until mixture just boils again.
- Stir in butter and vanilla.
- Cover with waxed paper and cool.
- 1 1/2 1-ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. boiling water
- 2-3 tsp. water
- Melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla until crumbly.
- Add 3 Tbsp. boiling water, then additional water 1 tsp. at a time to form medium consistency.
- Pour quickly over top of cake and spread evenly over top and sides.
- Place one cooled cake on plate.
- Spoon cooled filling on top of cake.
- Place second cooled cake on top of filling.
- Pour Chocolate Glaze over cake as soon as glaze is done.
- Refrigerate until all is very cold.
- Garnish with mint leaves or cherries.