This is as “scratch” as you can get, especially if you grow the pumpkins yourself!
- 2 cups stewed pumpkin
- 2 eggs 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups of whole milk or half-and-half
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 9 inch pie crust (“1/2 flaky pie crust”)
- Cut pumpkin into slices 2 inches thick and pare.
- Dice into 2 inch cubes, add to a skillet, with enough water to steam.
- Cover the skillet and steam on a medium heat for about 4 hours, mashing occasionally.
- Remove the cover from skillet and cook until almost dry on low heat.
- Measure out 2 cups and put into a bowl.
- Add 2 T butter to warm pumpkin until melted.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (F).
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, brown sugar, milk, salt, pepper, maple syrup, spices and finally the pumpkin mixture.
- Pour mixture into the pie shell and place in center oven rack at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake until the custard is firm, about 30 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
Streusel Pumpkin Pie
- 1 1/4 cup cold milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 small packages cheesecake flavor instant pudding
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1-8oz container whipped topping
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. margarine
- “ready-made” graham cracker crust
- Combine milk and pumpkin until well blended.
- Add pudding mixes and spice, beat until well blended.
- Stir in half of whipped topping
- Spoon into pie crust
- Refrigerate until set 4-5 hours
- Combine walnuts, brown sugar, and margarine in bowl.
- Microwave 1 to 1 ½ minutes, stirring after 1 minute
- Sprinkle with walnut mixture just before serving
- Garnish with whipped topping
Classic Pumpkin Pie
- 1-12 oz can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1-15 oz can prepared pumpkin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 3/4 tsp clove
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Blend sugar, salt and spices in large bowl.
- Add eggs, and pumpkin.
- Slowly stir in evaporated milk.
- Pour into pie shell (1/2 flaky crust recipe).
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake additional 40-50 minutes.
- Cool 2-3 hours before serving.