Summer Vegetable Spaghetti
(This lively vegetarian pasta dish contains no added fat or oil, is low in cholesterol, and is good hot or cold.)
- 2 cups small yellow onions, cut in eighths
- 2 cups chopped, peeled,fresh ripe tomatoes (about 1 lb.)
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow and green squash (about 1 lb.)
- 1 1/2 cups cut fresh green beans (about 1/2 lb.)
- 2/3 cup of water
- 2 T. minced fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 t. chili powder
- 1/4 t. salt black pepper, to taste
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 lb. uncooked spaghetti
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Combine first 10 ingredients in large saucepan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Then, stir in tomato paste.
- Cover and cook gently, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender.
- Cook spaghetti in unsalted water according to package directions.
- Spoon sauce over drained hot spaghetti and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
Yield: 9 Servings
Serving Size: 1 cup of spaghetti and 3/4 cup of sauce with vegetables.
|Nutrition at a glance
Each Serving Provides:
|amount per serving
Source: NHLBI/NIH. Stay Young at Heart recipes.