- 1 lb
uncooked small seashell macaroni (9 cups cooked)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/2 C cider vinegar
- 1/2 C wine vinegar
- 1/2 C water
- 3 Tbsp prepared mustard
- pinch black pepper
- 2 oz jar sliced pimentos
- 2 small cucumbers
- 2 small onions thinly sliced
- 18 lettuce leaves
- Cook macaroni in unsalted water, drain, rinse with cold water and drain again. Stir in oil.
- Transfer to 4-quart bowl.
- Place sugar, vinegars, water, prepared mustard, salt, pepper, and pimento in blender.
- Process at low speed 15-20 seconds, or just enough so flecks of pimento can be seen.
- Pour over macaroni.
- Score cucumber peel with fork tines.
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise, then slice thinly.
- Add to pasta with onion slices.
- Toss well.
- Marinate, covered, in refrigerator 24 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Drain and serve on lettuce.
Yield: 18 servings--Serving Size: 1/2 cup
|Nutrition at a glance
Each Serving Provides:
|amount per serving
||less than 1 g
Source: NHLBI/NIH. Stay Young at Heart recipes.