Parmesan Rice & Pasta Pilaf
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 C finely broken vermicelli, uncooked
- 2 Tbsp diced onion
- 1 C long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 1/4 C hot chicken stock
- 1 1/4 C hot water
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil.
- Sauté vermicelli and onion until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Drain off oil.
- Add rice, stock, water, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Fluff with fork.
- Cover and let stand 5-20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 2/3 cup each
|Nutrition at a glance
Each Serving Provides:
|amount per serving
Source: NHLBI/NIH. Stay Young at Heart recipes.
Vegetables and pasta
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 2 zucchini, cut into ½-in. chunks
- 2 yellow squash, cut into ½-in. chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ c. half-and-half
- 8 oz. cooked penne pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In roasting pan, toss vegetables and garlic with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon half of the vegetables into blender and add half-and-half and water.
- Process until smooth.
- Toss pasta with vegetable puree in large serving bowl.
- Spoon the rest of the vegetables on top.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.