- 2 large artichokes, peeled, steamed or boiled and cut into small pieces
- (1) 4 oz can of peeled tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 laural leaf
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of red wine
- 1 packet of spaghetti
- Sautee the garlic, onion and laural leaf in the oil over a medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the artichoke and sautee for another 5 minutes.
- Add the peeled tomatoes, 1 tsp of salt and red wine.
- Cook artichoke sauce until the tomatoes break down.
- Add water if the sauce becomes too thick or begins to burn.
- Boil water and cook the spaghetti for 9-11 minutes.
- Strain the spaghetti, and mix the artichoke sauce with it in a big bowl.
Serves: 4 persons
Healthy benefits of Artichokes
Low-fat Fettucine Alfredo
- 1 tbsp. low-fat margarine
- 2 sm. cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ c. skim milk
- 2 tbsp. low-fat or fat-free cream cheese
- 1 ¼ c. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 c. hot cooked fettuccine noodles
- 2 tsp. parsley
- Ground pepper
- Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Gradually add milk, stirring with a wire whisk.
- Cook milk mixture 7-8 minutes or until thick and hot, stirring
- Stir in cream cheese and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add one cup Parmesan cheese, stirring constantly until it melts.
- Pour sauce over fettuccine noodles and toss well to coat.
- Top with remaining ¼ c Parmesan cheese, parsley and pepper.