| || |
Tropical Fruit Compote
Fresh or cooked fruits make a great low-calorie dessert.
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 piece lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp rum or vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 pineapple, cored and peeled, cut into 8 slices
- 2 mangos, peeled and pitted, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 bananas peeled, cut into 8 diagonal pieces
- fresh mint leaves (optional)
Yield: 8 servings, 1 cup each.
- In a saucepan combine 3/4 cup of water with the sugar, lemon juice, and lemon peel (and rum or vanilla extract if desired).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and add the fruit.
- Cook at a very low heat for 5 minutes.
- Pour the syrup in a cup.
- Remove the lemon rind and cool the cooked fruit for 2 hours.
- To serve the compote, arrange the fruit in a serving dish and pour a few teaspoons of syrup over the fruit.
- Garnish with mint leaves.
|Nutrition at a glance
Each Serving Provides:
|amount per serving
||< 1 g
||< 1 g
Source: NHLBI and Office of Research on Minority Health, Public Health Service. Delicious Heart-Healthy Latino Recipes.