| || |
Sweet Potato Custard
Sweet potatoes and bananas combine to make a flavorful custard made with evaporated skim milk and no added fat.
- 1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (about 2 small)
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 2 beaten egg yolks (or 1/3 cup egg substitute)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- nonstick cooking spray
Yield: 6 servings, 1/2 cup each
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sweet potato and banana.
- Add milk, blending well.
- Add brown sugar, egg yolks, and salt, mixing thoroughly.
- Spray a 1-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray.
- Transfer sweet potato mixture to casserole dish.
- Combine raisins, sugar, and cinnamon; sprinkle over top of sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 325? F oven for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
|Nutrition at a glance
Each Serving Provides:
|amount per serving
||less than 1 g
|*If using egg substitutes, cholesterol will be lower
Source: NHLBI. Stay Young at Heart - Cooking the Heart-Healthy Way