| || |
Use fresh or canned peaches for this tasty dessert treat.
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon,ground
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup peach nectar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice or peach juice (from canned peaches)
- 2 16-oz cans peaches, sliced, packed in juice, drained [or 1 3/4 lbs fresh peaches, sliced]
- 1 Tbsp margarine (tub)
- melted nonstick cooking oil spray
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine cinnamon, vanilla, cornstarch, peach nectar, and pineapple or peach juice in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir constantly until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Add sliced peaches to mixture.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Lightly spray an 8-inch square glass dish with cooking oil spray.
- Pour hot peach mixture into the dish. In another bowl, combine pancake mix, flour, sugar, and melted margarine.
- Stir in milk.
- Quickly spoon this mixture over the peach mixture. Combine nutmeg and brown sugar.
- Sprinkle on top of batter.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and cut into 8 squares.
Yield: 8 servings--Serving size: 1 square
|Nutrition at a glance
Each Serving Provides:
|amount per serving
||less than 1 g
||less than 1 mg
Source: Heart Healthy Home Cooking, African American Style, National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and Office of Research on Minority Health.