| || |
Use skim milk and low-fat cream cheese to lower the saturated fat and calories in this special-occasion cake.
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 4 Tbsp margarine
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp orange peel
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease with small amount of cooking oil or use nonstick cooking oil spray on a 10-inch round pan (at least 2 inches high).
- Powder pan with flour.
- Tap out excess flour.
- Sift together flour and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat together margarine and sugar until soft and creamy.
- Beat in eggs, vanilla, and orange peel.
- Gradually add the flour mixture alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with flour.
- Pour the mixture into the pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until done.
- Let cake cool for 5 to 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Let cool completely before icing.
- 3 oz low fat cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp skim milk
- 6 Tbsp cocoa
- 2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream together cream cheese and milk until smooth.
- Add cocoa.
- Blend well.
- Slowly add sugar until icing is smooth. Mix in vanilla.
- Smooth icing over top and sides of cooled cake.
Yield: 16 servings, 1 slice each
|Nutrition at a glance
Each Serving Provides:
|amount per serving
Source: National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and Office of Research on Minority Health. Delicious Heart-Healthy Latino Recipes.