recipe is brought to you by Black Women for Wellness. For more information
about Black Women for Wellness, click here
to visit their website.
- 25 g or 1 oz
or 2 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic Cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, Chopped
- 1/2 Tsp turmeric
tbsp Garam Masala
- ¼ tsp Chili powder
- 1Tsp ground cumin
- 1 kg or
2 lb 4 oz canned, chopped tomatoes, drained
- 175 g or 6oz or 1 cup red lentils
tsp Lemon juice
- 600 ml or 1 pint or 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 300 ml or
1/2 pint or 1 1/4 cups coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped coriander (cilantro)
and lemon slices, to garnish
- Naan bread to serve
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the garlic and onion and sauté,
stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, garam masala, chili powder and cumin
and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes, red lentils,
lemon juice, vegetable stock and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
the heat to low and simmer the soup, uncovered, for about 25-30 minutes, unit;
lentils are tender and cooked.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and
ladle the soup into a warm tureen (soup bowl).
- Garnish with chopped coriander
(cilantro) and lemon slices and serve immediately with warm naan bread.
Sugars: 13 g
Protein: 16 g
Fat: 9 g
Carbohydrates: 38 g