It's easy to make homestyle biscuits with less fat.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk, 1% fat
- 3 Tbsp + 1 tsp vegetable oil
Yield: 15 servings--Serving Size: 1 (2-inch) biscuit
- Preheat oven to 450? F. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, stir together buttermilk and oil.
- Pour over flour mixture; stir until well mixed.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough gently for 10 to 12 strokes.
- Roll or pat dough to 3/4-inch thickness.
- Cut with a 2-inch biscuit or cookie cutter, dipping cutter in flour between cuts.
- Transfer biscuits to an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
|Nutrition at a glance
Each Serving (1 biscuit) Provides:
|amount per serving
||less than 1 g
||less than 1 mg
Source: NHLBI/NIH. Stay Young at Heart recipes.