Banana Nut Bread
Using low-fat buttermilk gives this old favorite its moistness and helps lower fat.
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1 egg
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a 9x5-inch loaf pan (or use nonfat cooking spray).
- Stir together mashed bananas and buttermilk; set aside.
- Cream brown sugar and margarine together until light. Beat in egg.
- Add banana mixture; beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add all at once to liquid ingredients. Stir until well blended. Stir in nuts and turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan and complete cooling on a wire rack before slicing.
Yield: One loaf, 12 1/2-inch slices.
|Nutrition at a glance
Each Serving Provides:
|amount per serving
Source: National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.