Vanilla, Plum and Buttermilk Smoothie
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1 vanilla bean halved with scraped seeds
- 5 plums quartered, pitted
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 Cups small ice cubes
- 4 Cups water
- Put 4 cups water, sugar, and halved vanilla bean with scraped seeds into a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Add plums.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until plums are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer plums to a plate to cool completely; remove bean, and discard poaching liquid.
- Purée cooled plums in a blender.
- Add buttermilk and small ice cubes; blend until smooth.
- 1 pint fresh blueberries or 2 cups (10 ounces) frozen
blueberries, slightly thawed
- 1 cup pineapple, orange and strawberry juice blend or pineapple-orange juice
- 1 (8 ounce) container low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- In container of an electric blender, combine blueberries, juice, yogurt and sugar.
- Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Serve immediately in tall glasses.
- Garnish with blueberry skewers spiraled with thin strips of orange peel, if desired.
Purple Cow Smoothie
- 1/2 cup grape soda
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 10 cubes ice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a blender, combine grape soda, ice cream, ice cubes and vanilla extract.
- Blend until smooth.
- If mixture is too thick, add milk until desired consistency is achieved.
- Pour into glasses and serve.