you want to take a hike, planning will help ensure your safety and wellbeing.
on Planning a Hike
with whom you want to hike.
on the general location of your hike. (coastal, mountain, flats)
on what activities you want to do.
- If you haven't been hiking in a while, hike at a lower altitude.
The lower altitude will give your body a chance to adjust to altitude.
the winter months, higher altitudes may have snow.
at your route options. Route options should include:
- water sources
- length of the route
- distance from home
- location of established camp
- the weather
- and restrictions, rules, and permits needed
to hike at that site
- estimation of how long it will take to complete the
you plan on taking a day hike, make sure you can finish the hike before sundown.
the rules of hiking.
a copy of your hike route with a contact person.
a light backpack of goodies.
aware of thigh chafing.
- If you have problems with thigh chafing, try wearing
Lycra shorts which are tight around the thigh and will help prevent chafing.