is merely walking on a foot path, whether on a neighborhood trail that runs along
the river or a more adventurous trail to a mountain ridge.
can be a great way to escape the monotony of the gym and get a heart-pumping workout.
are many benefits of hiking. The most common benefits are:
- Weight loss.
- Decrease in
- Helps prevent
osteoporosis by improving bone density.
- It doesn't cost much.
comfortable shoes and socks to prevent your feet from blistering.
careful when hiking up and down hills.
- Hiking up and down hills and mountains
requires care, especially on slopes covered with loose gravel or loose dirt.
your knees bent and use side-stepping maneuvers when hiking on steep parts.
a hiking stick or hiking poles.
- A hiking stick or even a pair of hiking
poles will give you an extra stability.
- When you ascend to higher elevations the air is thinner and
has less oxygen.
careful when crossing streams.
- Rocks and debris in the streams can be
very slippery and hazardous.
your own water.
- Water running over rocks is not safe in most areas. The
water may be contaminated with parasites or bacteria.
- If you plan to
drink water from a stream, use a water filter or water purification tablets.
- The weather can change dramatically. Dressing in layers will
help ensure you maintain the proper body temperture.
not leave your trash behind.
- Join a hiking group