is a Sports Drink?
sports drink is a beverage that contains carbohydrates and other supplements to
help replenish fluids and nutrients used during vigorous exercise and sporting
drinks are available in a variety of flavors. Some are pre-made liquids while
others are mix-it-yourself powders.
of Sports Drinks?
- Electrolytes and 6-8% carbohydrate Quickly replaces fluids
lost by sweating and supplies a boost of carbohydrate.
- Choice for most
athletes (middle and long distance running or team sports).
- Electrolytes and a low level of carbohydrate quickly replaces
fluids lost by sweating.
- Suitable for athletes who need fluid without
the boost of carbohydrate such as jockeys and gymnasts.
- High level of carbohydrate
- Used to supplement daily carbohydrate
intake normally after exercise to top up muscle glycogen stores.
for ultra distance events where high levels of energy are required and hypertonic
drinks can be taken during exercise to meet the energy requirements.
used during exercise, hypertonic drinks need to be used in conjunction with Isotonic
drinks to replace fluids.
fast will the body absorb the Sports Drink?
are two main factors that affect the speed at which fluid from a drink gets into
- The higher the carbohydrate levels in a drink the slower
the rate of stomach emptying.
- Isotonic drinks with a carbohydrate level
of between 6 and 8% are emptied from the stomach at a rate similar to water.
- Sodium and potassium in a drink will reduce urine output. Reduced
urine output enables the fluid to empty quickly from the stomach, promotes absorption
from the intestine and encourages fluid retention.
serve three general functions in the body:
electrolytes are essential minerals.
- Electrolytes control osmosis of
water between body compartments.
- Electrolytes help maintain the acid-base
balance required for normal cellular activities.
sweat that evaporates from the skin contains a variety of electrolytes. The electrolyte
composition can vary from person to person but is generally:
Drinks with Multiple Carb Sources
8 ounce serving)
Amount in Grams
maltodextrin, polylactate, glucose||19|
to pick a sports drink that is best for you?
are many different brands of sports drinks. Make sure you
get a sport drink that works best for you by trying different brands, flavors
ask your fitness trainer and/or doctor if you need them.